One of Galop’s key funders is threatening to make huge cuts to our funding.
London Councils’ is a key funder for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) sector in London, their cross-borough funding means that specialist LGBT services can be provided, which would not otherwise be available. These services include:
- Homelessness advice
- Youth homelessness prevention
- Homophobic and transphobic hate crime prevention and support to victims
- Domestic abuse services
- Anti-homophobic bullying work in schools
- Support to under 18s at risk of sexual exploitation
- Support of LGBT organisations themselves to help them to do the best job possible
Mainstream services don’t always meet the needs of LGBT Londoners, for example:
- Most domestic abuse services only work with women
- Many LGBT people who have experienced a hate crime prefer to report to and get support from an LGBT organisation
- Many LGBT people are at increased risk of homelessness, violence from their families and forced marriage.
These specialist services understand and meet these very specific needs. It is London Councils’ cross-borough funding which has allowed these services to develop. The LGBT community in London is not restricted to one place – it is in every area of London. By taking a pan-London approach, residents in every borough can access specialist, relevant support.
Organisations manage to provide services to LGBT Londoners on a tiny income. The proposed changes will have a disproportionate effect on LGBT residents with the closure of vital services.
Please help us by making your voice heard and writing to your council leader, grants committee and your MP. Visit http://www.lgbtlondon.com/info/getting-your-voice-heard to get their details and template letters.