After an Incident

This section tells you about the steps you should take if you are a victim of a homophobic or transphobic incident.  It includes advice on making sure you are safe and well immediately after the incident and who to contact to get help and/or report to.

Make Sure You Are Safe

If you (or someone else) have been attacked or think that you are in immediate danger the first priority is to make sure you are safe. 
If the incident has just occurred or you feel in immediate danger, you should call 999 and ask for the police.

If you have witnessed an attack on someone else try to help without risking your own safety. Shout, attract the attention of others and call the police.

Avoid any unnecessary confrontation with your attackers. If you have been attacked or threatened it might be tempting to confront the perpetrator(s). However, you could be putting yourself at risk of further attack. It’s best to call the police and let them deal with it.

Get Medical Attention

If you (or someone else) have been serious assaulted you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance and the police.  You should also get medical attention for lesser injuries as soon as possible – go the nearest accident & emergency centre at a local hospital.

Take photographs of any visible injuries for use as evidence. If you report to the police, they may want to take their own photographs as evidence.

Record Details and Keep Evidence of the Incident

Write down all the details of the incident as soon as you can including descriptions of the perpetrator(s), clothes they wore, any distinguishing marks, any nearby vehicles or witnesses, and anything they said such as homophobic/transphobic abuse or threats they made. 
Take photographs of any damage to property or your belongings, such as graffiti, or damage to your car.
If there are any witnesses, ask them for their contact details and ask them to write down what they saw, sign and date it, as soon as possible.

Keep any evidence safe, such as clothing, photographs and letters/notes. If the perpetrator may have left fingerprints somewhere, do not touch the area, let the police know.

Tell Someone About The Incident

Call the police or Galop as soon after the incident as possible to make either a crime report, a non-police report or an anonymous report.
If you are unsure about contacting the police, you can contact Galop for advice.  Galop can make report to the police on your behalf without you having to contact them directly.  Alternatively Galop can put you in contact with an LGBT police liaison officer who is specially trained to work with the LGBT community.

Contact With The Police

If police come to the scene of the incident, get the officers’ names and badge numbers so you a record of the officers’ who attended the incident.

Tell the police you want it recorded as a homophobic or a transphobic hate crime (whichever is appropriate).

If you report to police, make sure they give you a crime reference number.

Always ask for a copy of the crime report to be sent to you.

Even if you report to police, it is worth telling Galop for our own monitoring purposes.

You can find out more about what you can expect from the police if you report an incident to them, by reading the section Why report hate crime?, or by calling our Shoutline.

Further Advice and Support

If you want someone to support you, you should contact Galop for help and advice. Galop can also put you in contact with other organisations who can offer you support, such as housing advice or counselling.  Alternatively you can ask police for a referral to Victim Support

If you were injured, you may be able to claim compensation. This will require both police and medical reports. You can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, though the process can take a long time. Ask Galop or Victim Support to assist you.

Contact Galop on 020 7704 2040.