Contact With The Police

If police come to the scene of the incident, get the officers’ names and badge numbers so you a record of the officers’ who attended the incident.

Tell the police you want it recorded as a homophobic or a transphobic hate crime (whichever is appropriate).

If you report to police, make sure they give you a crime reference number.

Always ask for a copy of the crime report to be sent to you.

Even if you report to police, it is worth telling Galop for our own monitoring purposes.

You can find out more about what you can expect from the police if you report an incident to them, by reading the section Why report hate crime?, or by calling our Shoutline.