I’m Being Harassed At Work

It is against the law to harass someone at work because of their sexuality or gender identity. The person who is harassing you may be in breach of employment law or in some circumstances may be in breach of criminal law.

If an employer or colleague is harassing you, you should:

  • Keep a record of the harassment, such as times, dates, location and what was said or done to you.
  • Ask to speak confidentially about the harassment to a senior manager or someone working in personnel.  Ask to make a formal report of any incidents and keep a record of such meetings, such as dates, and written records.  You can ask a sympathetic friend, colleague or union member to be present with you at any meeting.
  • If you’re a member, contact your trade union and ask them for help.  If you don’t feel comfortable approaching your workplace representative, then go directly to the union’s regional or head office, or to the LGBT section of the Union.
  • If the harassment is of a criminal nature, such as threats, blackmail, violence or damage to your property, then you should consider contacting the police.
  • Contact Galop for more advice. Galop may be able to put you in contact with organisations that provide help and advice on employment discrimination issues, or put you in contact with an LGBT police liaison officer.