What offences can be stepped down?


  • A conviction for gross indecency
  • A conviction for buggery
  • A conviction for consensual sex with a male between 16 and 21

The police should not disclose these convictions in a CRB check because they are no longer offences. This means that although a previous conviction would always stay on police records they would not be disclosed in a CRB check.

You may have already had a CRB check and a previous conviction has been disclosed. If so, you should apply to have this conviction ‘stepped down’ and then re-apply for a new CRB form. Your employer (or similar) has to recognise the most recent CRB form and can not use any previous disclosures against you.