What Are My Rights With The Police?

You might have already contacted the police because you’ve experienced a transphobic incident. Or there could have been another reason, such as reporting a crime, being stopped by the police or other unwanted or unasked for contact. Whatever the reason you have come into contact with the police, you should make sure you keep a record. For example, the officer’s identification (their name and shoulder number) and the date you contacted them.

If you are reporting a transphobic incident you should check with the police that they have recorded it as transphobic (they may describe this as flagging the incident). If a crime or an incident is flagged in this way it should be dealt with as a priority and it will be more closely monitored to ensure that the police respond appropriately. You should expect the police to give you regular updates of any incident/crime they are investigating. You can also ask for a copy of the crime report to be sent to you.

If you feel that the police have treated you less favourably because of your gender identity, have been transphobic towards you, or have not taken a transphobic incident seriously, you should contact Galop for advice. Galop can talk you through the options available, including making a formal complaint through the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Commission). For more information see Galop’s Factsheet ‘Police Complaints’.