What if I experience abuse or harassment because of my identity?

  • You have as much right to participate in events as any other member of the public and no one has the right to abuse you or treat you differently because of your identity.
  • Your safety is your first priority. If you experience an incident try to stay calm and avoid confrontations even if you are upset or angry at the way you’ve been treated.
  • If you need help at a large event, try and contact either security staff or police. If it is an emergency, for example, you’ve been injured or are in danger, call 999.
  • If you want to report a non-urgent incident to the Metropolitan Police call 101.
  • If you aren’t sure about reporting to the police but want help and advice you can call Galop’s helpline on 020 7704 6767. The helpline is Mon-Fri 10 -4pm (Tues 1-4pm) or report online at www.galop.org.uk .

You can find out more here about what to do following an incident and here about reporting. Galop can also help make a report to the police on your behalf. As the police may be stretched this summer, if you report and don’t get the response you need, we may be able to help.

Our services:

Our hate crime casework service can give you advice, support and help if you experience homophobia, transphobia or biphobia. Click for more

Domestic abuse is any kind of threatening behaviour, violence, or abuse between people who have been intimate partners or family members. Click for more

Galop provides confidential and independent advice and support for LGBT+ people who have experienced sexual assault, abuse or violence. Click for more