Online Hate Crime Report 2020
LGBT+ people face high levels of online abuse according to research by Galop, the leading LGBT+ anti-violence charity.
The findings of this report, drawn from a survey of 700 LGBT+ people in the UK, show that:
- 8 in 10 LGBT+ people had experienced online abuse.
- Among those targeted, 5 in 10 had experienced online hate more than 20 times. 1 in 5 had experienced more than 100 incidents.
- 6 in 10 were threatened with physical violence, and 4 in 10 received death threats or threats of sexual violence.
- As a result, 4 in 10 people used their online accounts less, while 2 in 10 removed LGBT+ information from their profiles or left social media sites altogether.
- Less than half reported their experiences to social media platforms, and less than 1 in 10 reported to the police.