What if you’ve been refused goods, facilities and services?

Being refused goods, facilities or services because of your gender identity or sexual orientation is discrimination and it’s illegal under the 2010 Equality Act. There are several things you might consider doing. For example:

  • You should contact Galop or another advice service to consider your options. Galop can give you information about your rights.
  • If you are dealing with a larger organisation you could ask to contact the manager or customer services department about your experience and make a complaint.
  • Be persistent – point out they don’t have the right to stop you accessing goods, facilities or services. If you are trans, you are not required to produce a Gender Recognition Certificate in order to access facilities or services.
  • You might decide to take legal action against someone who refused you goods, facilities or services.

Our services:

Our hate crime casework service can give you advice, support and help if you experience homophobia, transphobia or biphobia. Click for more

Domestic abuse is any kind of threatening behaviour, violence, or abuse between people who have been intimate partners or family members. Click for more

Galop provides confidential and independent advice and support for LGBT+ people who have experienced sexual assault, abuse or violence. Click for more